Skip to main content
Create interactive lessons using any digital content including wikis with our free sister product
. Get it on the
Pages and Files
Add "All Pages"
Resources to Support Online Learning for K-12 Students
Seven Attributes of Successful Online Learners
Agencies and Associations
Michigan Learns Online (MLO)
- The MLO Teaching & Learning Online site provides resources and access to free online high school courses. For teachers who want to learn to teach online in a blended or 100% online format, the site also offers training opportunities.
Michigan Learns Online Portal
- Student, teacher, parent resources for K-12 online opportunities and programs. Provided through collaborative efforts between MDE, GISD and REMC Association of Michigan.
The International Association for K-12 Online Learning (iNACOL)
- iNACOL is a non-profit organization that facilitates collaboration, advocacy, and research to enhance quality K-12 online teaching and learning. This site includes research reports, discussion forums, and event listings.
Research and Best Practices
Evaluation of Evidence-Based Practices in Online Learning: A Meta-Analysis and Review of Online Learning Studies (PDF)
- report from U.S. Dept. of Education, Sept 2010.
iNACOL National Standards of Quality for Online Courses
- Download the National Standards for Quality Online Teaching and the National Standards for Quality Online Programs here.
Powerful Ingredients for Powerful Learning
- a blog focusing on tips, techniques, and resources for the blended classroom.
Flipped Model of Learning
- article discusses how teachers "flipped" the teaching model where students do classwork at home and homework at school. Alan November's blog also includes a
which includes an interview with the teachers.
State-run Public Online Schools
Florida Virtual School
North Carolina Virtual Public School
Other Online Schools
Open High School of Utah
- unique case as they use mostly free resources/content and make that available to others to use under Creative Commons licensing. Courses available here:
Maryland Virtual Learning
- MVLO also created a
Virtual learning guide planning implementation and evaluation.pdf
for local schools that are interested in starting a virtual learning program.
Collections of Online Courses
- courses from the Open High School of Utah
National Repository of Online Courses
- a growing library of high-quality online course content for students and faculty in higher education and high school.
- video lectures from the world's top scholars.
- 400 free online courses
Collections of Online Course Enhancements
- a project of the Monterey Institute for Technology and Education (MITE). The goal of HippoCampus is to provide high-quality, multimedia content on general education subjects to high school and college students free of charge.
- online environment created to support the development and free distribution of world-class educational materials to benefit teachers and students around the world.
- over 1600 instructional videos in math, science, history and economics The content is made in digestible 10-20 minute chunks in conversational style especially purposed for viewing on the computer.
- free, standards-aligned digital textbooks
Free Resources to Enhance Learning in Any Environment
Interactives from Annenberg
- strategies, content, and activities that can enhance and improve students' skills in a variety of curricular areas
Interactives from Thinkfinity
- Thinkfinity is a compilation of nine discipline-specific, standards-based Web sites with thousands of teacher-reviewed resources
- digital library of web-based learning resources called "learning objects" from the University of Wisconsin
FREE - Federal Resources for Educational Excellence
- more than 1,500 teaching and learning resources from dozens of federal agencies
- free videos, quizzes, activities and more
Classroom Curriculum Practice
-Grades K-8 online skills practice that is appropriate for specific Michigan Standards and GLCE
NASA Resources for Students and Educators
- includes downloadable videos and images that are copyright free
science-related videos, presenations, and lectures
Biology Labs and Workshops
- collection of labs and workshops
- online library of more than 1,000 free media resources including video and audio segments, Flash interactives, images, documents, lesson plans for teachers, and student-oriented activities. For all content areas and grade levels
Arcademic Skill Builders
- free educational math and language arts games to engage, motivate, and help teach students - interactive tools to include in your online courses
Lure of the Labyrinth
- online digital math game designed to help build the pre-algebra skills
- free algebra tutorials
- a math-help web site that generates answers to specific math questions and problems, as entered by a user, at any particular moment
- interactive algebra games and videos
Math Quizzes and Resources
- from the University of Sydney
- thousands of free videos in math and science
- timed math, science, and geography quizzes with immediate feedback
Discovery Education Homework Help for Students
- homework help by subject area
e-Learning for Kids
fun and free learning on the Internet for children ages 5 - 12
Michigan Electronic Library (MEL)
- free to all Michigan residents. MEL provides access to educational resources for multimedia projects, reports, online courses, etc. MEL also provides practice tests for ACT, SAT, GED and skills enhancement lessons for ELA and mathematics.
- free service which provides an innovative way of gathering and organizing content on the Internet. Weblist allows you to create lists composed of different item types including multiple URLs, files, videos, documents and more.
- Weblist of Copyright Friendly Image Sites/Search Tools
The OWL at Purdue
- Online Writing Lab - free ELA resources provided by Purdue University
LEO - Literacy Education Online
- free ELA resources provided by St. Cloud University
- Online Higher-level Math games for students K-8
Articles and Blog Posts
Social Networking as a Tool for Student and Teacher Learning
- Online social networking includes much more than Facebook and Twitter. It is any online use of technology to connect people, enable them to collaborate with each other, and form virtual communities.
Technology Integration Isn't About Technology
-School-based technology specialist Patrick Ledesma suggests in this blog that Apple's success is partly attributed to its belief that technology is best used to enhance one's quality of life. Ledesma says teachers should apply this philosophy in the classroom by using technology tools to enhance the learning experience for students. He advises schools to consider how the latest and greatest gadgets will be used to improve learning before purchasing them.
TEACH Act Toolkit
- This toolkit from North Carolina State University can be used to ensure your course is copyright compliant.The TEACH Act clarifies what uses are permissible with regard to online education.
Balancing Copyright Concerns: The TEACH Act of 2001
(PDF) by Laura Gasaway
Other Resources Shared During the Wayne RESA Teaching and Learning Online Sessions
Bloom’s Digital Taxonomy and Web 2.0 Tools
– Prezi presentation that Jennifer Henderson discussed during the one-day overview
help on how to format text
Turn off "Getting Started"